Social Work

College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences
Students reading textbooks

Degree Options

On-Campus Degrees

  • B.S.W. in Social Work
  • Minor in Social Welfare

Online Degrees

  • B.S.W. in Social Work

Who Would be Interested in Social Work?

  • Traditional and non-traditional students
  • Second-degree-seeking students
  • Students interested in a professional degree in a helping profession
  • Students interested in two practicum/internship opportunities within the degree program

Why Social Work?

  • Many different job opportunities available with a BSW degree
  • Program highly respected throughout region
  • Program accredited by Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) since 1977
  • Social Work faculty with many years of direct social work experience
  • Highly dynamic, interactive classes

What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?

  • In order to apply to the Social Work program, students need to have completed introductory courses in social work, psychology, sociology, and political science and go through a program admissions process.
  • Students may take pre-social work courses prior to being admitted to the program.
  • Students must have a 2.5 GPA to be admitted to the program.

Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?

  • Kentucky Department of Community Based Services, Child and Adult Protection
  • Richmond Senior Center
  • Cardinal Hill Adult Day Care
  • Social workers work in the community helping people.
  • Social workers work with children, families, public policy, and in the community to advance social justice. Many work in hospice, hospitals, with juvenile justice, with the homeless, in prisons, child protection, domestic violence shelters, addictions, in crisis intervention, and group homes. 

How Do I Get More Information?

On-Campus Program Information
Contact Stephanie Adams, Social Work Program Director
Evelyn Jones, Social Work Program Office Associate

Online Program Information
Sarah McQueen, Online Enrollment Advisor

Are There Scholarship Opportunities?

Yes! We offer, through the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Human Services, a scholarship program that will pay for two years of tuition and expenses for students who in turn agree to work for the Cabinet upon completion of the degree. It is the public child welfare certification program (PCWCP).

A $500 scholarship was created exclusively for Social Work majors. For more information about eligibility and application details, stop by the main department office in Keith 223, call 859-622-1644 or email