Get the Program Guide
- B.S. in Middle Grade Education (grades 5 – 9)
- B.S. in Middle Grade Education (grades 5 – 9) with dual certification in Education in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (P-12)
- B.S. in Middle Grade Education (grades 5 – 9) with dual certification in Special Education Learning and Behavior Disorders (P-12)
Choose two content focus areas from:
- Social Studies
Choose one content focus area (listed above) and
- Education in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (P-12)
- Special Education Learning and Behavior Disorders(P-12)
Who Would be Interested in Middle Grade Education?
This program prepares candidates to teach young adolescents (grades 5-9).
Individuals who are successful in this field:
Enjoy working with adolescents (ages 10-14) from diverse backgrounds
- Are energetic, caring, and committed to enhancing the overall welfare of the community
- Interested in learning and teaching two subject areas
Why Middle Grade Education at EKU?
- Option to add an additional certification in Education in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing or Special Education, or focus only on middle grade education in math, science, English, or social studies.
- Program includes extensive, supervised school-based field experiences every step of the way.
- Your Kentucky teaching certificate is easily transferred to other states (some additional requirements may be needed).
- EKU prepares highly qualified middle grades teachers and our program is nationally accredited.
- Faculty have K-12 teaching experience and are active scholars in state and national education organizations.
What Are the Requirements for Program Admission?
- Admission to EKU
- Admission to the College of Education Professional Education Program, usually during the sophomore year (2.75 GPA, criminal background check, and additional requirements)
- Students must earn and maintain a 2.75 GPA
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- Public and private middle schools or junior highs in Kentucky and across the nation.
- At 5th grade teachers in elementary schools or 9th grade teachers in high schools across the nation.
How Do I Get More Information?
- Email: Dr. Marie Manning - email@example.com
- Telephone: 859-622-2154
- Website: https://curriculum.eku.edu/middle
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
Yes! Visit https://coe.eku.edu/student-scholarships to learn more about scholarship opportunities.