Who Would be Interested in This Program?
- Anyone looking for a supportive environment that encourages reading, writing, and thinking at a higher level
- Current or future English teachers who want to expand knowledge of their content area
- Students pursuing careers that demand critical thinking, research, and writing skills
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
Applicants should have:
- at least a 2.5 overall GPA with a 3.0 GPA in upper-division (undergraduate) English coursework
- an undergraduate major or minor (or equivalent) in English
- GRE scores of 150 verbal and 4.0 analytical writing (GRE waived for applicants with a 2.5 GPA or higher)
Program requirements include:
Specialization in one of three concentrations: rhetoric/composition; literature; or generalist
9 hours of coursework in core English studies courses
15 hours of coursework in chosen concentration
6 hours of elective coursework in English
Completion of a thesis and breadth-of-knowledge examination or completions of a two-part breadth- and depth-of-knowledge examination
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- As teachers in secondary schools
- Community colleges and universities
- As teachers of English to speakers of other languages, both in the US and abroad
- Published authors and professional writers and editors
How Do I Get More Information?