Get the Program Guide
- B.S. in Elementary Education(grades P-5)
- B. S. in Elementary Education (grades P-5) with dual certification in Education in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (P-12)
- B. S. in Elementary Education (grades P-5) with dual certification in Special Education Learning and Behavior Disorders (P-12)
Who Would be Interested in Elementary Education?
This program prepares candidates to teach in elementary classrooms: Primary/kindergarten – 5th grade.
Individuals who are successful in this field:
- Enjoy working with children from diverse backgrounds, ages 5-11.
- Are energetic, caring, and committed to enhancing the overall welfare of the community.
Why Elementary Education at EKU?
- Option to add an additional certification in Education in the Deaf and Hard of Hearing or Special Education, or focus only on elementary education.
- Prepares you to teach any subject or multiple subjects in primary/kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Program includes extensive, supervised school-based field experiences every step of the way.
- Your Kentucky teaching certificate is easily transferred to other states (some additional requirements may be needed).
- EKU prepares highly qualified elementary teachers and our program is nationally accredited.
- Faculty have K-12 teaching experience and are active scholars in state and national education organizations.
What Are the Requirements for Program Admission?
- Admission to EKU
- Admission to the College of Education Professional Education Program, usually during the sophomore year (2.75 GPA, criminal background check, and additional requirements)
- Students must earn and maintain a 2.75 GPA
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
Public and private elementary schools in Kentucky and across the nation.
How Do I Get More Information?
- Email Dept. of Curriculum and Instruction
- Telephone 859-622-2154
- Visit https://curriculum.eku.edu/elementary
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
Yes! Visit www.coe.eku.edu/current-students#sch to learn more about scholarship opportunities.