On-Campus Degrees & Certificates
- B.A. in Communication Studies
- Minor in Communication Studies
- University Certificate in Communication Studies
- Department Certificate in Communication Studies
- Department Certificate in Communication in the Workplace
- Department Certificate in Dispute Resolution
Online Degrees & Certificates
- B.A. in Communication Studies
- Undergraduate Certificate in Communication Studies
- Undergraduate Certificate in Dispute Resolution
- Undergraduate Certificate in Communication in the Workplace
Who Would be Interested in Communication Studies?
Students who enjoy:
- Public speaking
- Working with others
- Selling products or services
- Negotiating and settling disputes
- Taking a leadership role
Communication Studies at EKU
Join the growing number of communication studies majors at EKU! Research indicates the ability to communicate effectively is the leading skill employers seek in their employees. Communication studies courses help you become more proficient in speaking assertively, writing effectively, thinking critically, negotiating persuasively and solving problems creatively.
Communication Studies Careers
One major: many opportunities! A degree in Communication Studies can be tailored to students’ individual career goals. For example, graduates have successfully entered careers in corporate instructional training, consulting, management, sales, nonprofit agencies, health care organizations, human services agencies, and alternative dispute resolution. Moreover, many of our graduates have gone on to achieve graduate degrees in communication, law, politics, education, counseling, and the seminary. Expect hands-on advising as Communication Studies professors work one-on-one with students helping them prepare for the workforce or graduate studies.
What to Expect
Today’s communicators require a breadth of understanding about our world. Students take courses in conflict management, interviewing, negotiation, public speaking, health, intercultural and organizational communication, persuasion, communication theory, and more. Students will also complete internships with professional organizations.
Department Faculty and Student Organizations
The Communication Studies faculty of the Department of Communication have real world experience. Faculty members are involved in training and development, mediation, strategic planning, organizational, health, and instructional research, and much more. Student involvement is encouraged in all activities related to communication studies on campus.
Internship and Job Opportunities
- CMS majors earn a minimum of three credit hours through the Cooperative Education program for internships on or off campus.
- Through service learning courses, students work with community organizations and businesses, providing assistance to these groups while at the same time gaining valuable experience for themselves.
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
- Students may select Communication Studies upon applying to the university.
- Students must take CMS 200, CMS 205W, CMS 210, and CMS 250 before taking any other courses for the major.
Job Title of EKU Communication Studies Program Graduates
Communication Studies graduates successfully enter careers in corporate instructional training, management, consulting, human resources, human services, sales, development, recruiting, and dispute resolution. Many Communication Studies graduates pursue graduate degrees in communication, law, education, politics, counseling, public administration, and the seminary. Job titles of EKU CMS graduates include:
- Academic Advisor
- Admissions Counselor
- Adult Education and Workforce Training
- Analyst, Office of Institutional Research
- Director of Development
- Director of Diverse Student Retention
- Director of Sales
- District Manager
- Financial Advisor
- Human Resource Manager
- Insurance Agent
- Loan Business Development
- Medical Sales Associate
- Mission Director, Susan G. Komen
- National Sales Recruiter
- Director of Recruitment
- Pharmaceutical Sales
- Property Management Sales
- Public Information Officer
- Public Relations and Marketing
- Recruiting Specialist
- Senior Marketing Consultant
- Special Events Coordinator
- Speech Writer
- State Senator
- Technical Recruiter
- Training & Development
- University Advancement
On-Campus Program Information
Contact Dr. Ginny Whitehouse, Director, School of Communication
Online Program Information
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
- The Charles Weaver Fund
- Christy L. Guttridge Memorial Scholarship