Communication Disorders

College of Education
Smiling student meeting with professor

Get the Program Guide

Communication Disorders Program Guide

Degree Options

B.S. in Communication Disorders

Who Would be Interested in Communication Disorders?

Students who are interested in evaluating and treating anyone with a communication disorder regardless of age and work setting.

Why Communication Disorders?

  • Students will have the opportunity to learn from faculty specializing in a specific aspect of communication disorders, such as voice disorders.
  • The B.S. in Communication Disorders provides a solid base for applying to a master's program in Communication Disorders. A master's degree is required in order to obtain certification through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
  • With a B.S. in Communication Disorders an individual could work in the Kentucky public schools as a speech-language pathology assistant under the supervision of a certified speech-language pathologist.
  • The EKU master's program in Communication Disorders is accredited through the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology. Accreditation of bachelor's programs in Communication Disorders does not occur.

What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?

An application for admission must be submitted to the CD Program Coordinator. To be eligible to apply for admission in the CD Program, the following minimum criteria must be met:

  • 40 semester credit hours completed--Examples of hours "not completed" may be those from which the student withdrew ("W"), received an incomplete ("I" or "IP"), or did not pass ("F" or "U"). Hours must be based on 100-level courses of higher. Developmental or remedial courses such as those numbered 090, 093, and 095 (or equivalent transfer courses) cannot be counted in the 40 hours nor in the GPA.
  • GPA of 3.0 overall (on a 4.0 scale) for the 40 semester credit hours completed
  • Minimum ACT composite score of 21

Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?

With a bachelor's degree, only in the public schools as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant

With a master's degree and certification and license:

  • Medical settings
  • Public schools
  • Private agencies

How Do I Get More Information?
Contact Dr. Kellie Ellis

Are There Scholarship Opportunities?

College of Education