Who Would be Interested in Apparel Design and Merchandising?
Students interested in:
- Working in the fast-paced world of fashion at the local, regional, or global level.
- Developing their creative skills through sewing runway collections, styling photo shoots or constructing window displays.
- Mastering business and entrepreneurial skills through fashion branding, marketing, and retail buying applications.
- Collaborating with others in a team-based collegiate environment.
Why Apparel Design and Merchandising?
- Whether your dream is designing clothes, creating window displays, managing retail stores, or owning your own business; our program provides a knowledge base for success in both design and merchandising-related careers.
- As the only apparel design program in Kentucky, our small class sizes allow for individualized and personalized attention from faculty.
- As an ADM student, you will take studio and lecture courses designed to meet industry standards and requirements. Through our fashion-based curricula, you will learn apparel design, product development, merchandising and marketing strategies, and the business of fashion.
- 100% of our students will complete two industry-based internships designed to provide real-life applications to our curriculum.
The ADM program at EKU offers students opportunities for hands-on learning with our fully equipped design studio, textiles testing lab, historic costume collection, fashion styling studio and department window displays. Students will become versed in technology with industry software like Visual Retailing in our departmental computer lab, and have the opportunity to participate in our annual fashion show.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
Fashion goes beyond the runway. Behind the glamour and lights lies the business of fashion. The largest job sector in the United States and worldwide, the clothing and textiles industry accounts for more than $3 trillion annually and employs more than 58 million people.
The ADM program is committed to excellence in education as it prepares our students for exciting career opportunities in the fast-paced world of fashion. Our graduates have thriving careers in the global apparel industry.
- Sash & Bow Boutique, Entrepreneur / Boutique Owner, Lexington, KY
- Amazon, Assistant Fashion Stylist, Shepherdsville, KY
- Focus Lifestyle Boutique, Fashion Buyer, Santa Rose Beach, FL
- House by JSD, Owner / Designer, Lexington, KY
- Ralph Lauren, Brand Manager / Retail Development – Men’s & Children’s Division, Lexington, KY
- Chico’s, FAS, Merchant, Ft. Meyer, FL
- Victoria’s Secret, Senior Marketing Coordinator, Columbus, OH
- Bath & Body Works, Product Manager, Columbus, OH
- Altar’d State, Store Manager, Lexington, KY
- Altar’d State - Corporate, Marketing Coordinator / Store Operations, Knoxville, TN
- Urban Outfitters, Store Merchandising Manager, Washington, DC
- Cincinnati Art Museum, Curatorial Assistant – Fashion, Arts, and Textiles, Cincinnati, OH
- Yoox Net-A-Porter Group, Recruiter, New York, NY
- GTM Sportswear, Product Development Assistant, Manhattan, KS
- Fecheimer Brothers Company, E-Commerce Marketing Specialist, Blue Ash, OH
How Do I Get More Information?
Contact Dr. Amber Chatelain, Program Coordinator
Contact Dr. Dana Bush, Department Chair (859) 622-3445
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
Burrier Freshman Scholarship