- B.S. in Recreation Management & Event Planning
- B.S. in Natural Resource Recreation Management
- B.S. in Therapeutic Recreation
- B.S. in Tourism and Resort Recreation
- M.S. in Recreation and Park Administration
Who Would be Interested in Recreation and Park Administration?
If any of the following apply to you, you should explore a career in parks, recreation and tourism:
- Adventure and working in the outdoors
- Planning special events like parties, conferences and festivals
- Working at a resort or other tourist destination
- Working with children, at-risk youth, the elderly, individuals with disabilities, veterans or other groups
- Protecting our natural resources
Why Recreation and Park Administration?
As one of the longest accredited programs in the nation, the Department of Recreation and Park Administration at EKU is committed to balancing classroom applications with hands-on learning in our numerous service-learning projects, as well as field experience requirements. The senior practicum (REC 463) serves as an excellent transition from school to work, and many students are hired directly from their practicum. A career in park, recreation and tourism services enables students to have an impact in their work, in their communities, on the environment, and in the lives of others!
Learn From the Best
First and foremost our faculty are teachers, committed and passionate about our students' professional growth and development. As a result, you will hear our students refer to our department as "family." Our faculty are committed to the parks, recreation and tourism profession, as evidenced by many publications, professional presentations, service-learning projects, and serving on various boards. RPA is accredited through the National Recreation and Park Association Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism.
Rewarding Career Opportunities
- Recreation, Natural Resource, Tourism and Resort, and Facility Management
- Special Events Programming
- Outdoor and Adventure, Therapeutic, Campus, Military, and Church Recreation
- Non-Profit organizations such as the YMCA, Girl Scouts, 4-H and Boys and Girls Club
- Shriners Hospital for Children Lexington, Ky.
- Acadia and Zion National Parks
- Key West Naval Air Station
- YMCA of Central Kentucky
- Turtle Bay Resort, Hawaii
What are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
Students may select Recreation and Park Administration upon applying to the university.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- District Manager Tehachapi Valley Recreation & Parks District
- Chief Administrator Paul Patton Eastern Kentucky Veterans Center
- Director of Family, Morale, Welfare and Recreation, U.S. Army, Ft. Knox, KY
- Director of Adventure Programs, EKU Campus Recreation
How Do I Get More Information?
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
- Annual James McChesney Scholarship
- Kentucky Recreation & Park Society Scholarship
- Other scholarship opportunities available on state and national level