What is a Pre-Professional Program?
Pre-professional programs are designed to prepare you for admission to professional schools or programs. The Center for Pre-Professional Advising can advise on all issues relating to your professional goals, curriculum, professional school admission requirements, and the application process.
EKU Pre-Professional Programs
- Pre-Law (http://preprofessional.eku.edu/pre-law)
- Pre-Medicine (http://preprofessional.eku.edu/pre-medicine)
- Pre-Pharmacy (http://preprofessional.eku.edu/pre-pharmacy)
- Pre-Dentistry (http://preprofessional.eku.edu/pre-dentistry)
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine (Biology) (http://preprofessional.eku.edu/pre-veterinary-medicine-biology)
- Pre-Veterinary Medicine (Agriculture) (http://agriculture.eku.edu/degree-programs)
- Pre-Optometry (http://preprofessional.eku.edu/pre-optometry)
- Pre-Physical Therapy (http://preprofessional.eku.edu/)
- Pre-Physician Assistant (http://preprofessional.eku.edu/pre-physician-assistant)
Pre-Professional Programs vs. Four-Year Majors
The Pre-Professional Programs are NOT majors at Eastern Kentucky University. Instead, you may choose any major that interests you, and incorporate professional program requirements into your course planning and extra-curricular experiences.
Why Declare a Pre-Professional Program?
If you indicate an interest in a Pre-Professional Program on your Admissions application or in DegreeWorks, you will meet with the Center for Pre-Professional Advising regularly to receive ongoing feedback about developing your academic and extra-curricular experiences for application to professional schools programs. Topics of discussion may include:
- Completing the academic prerequisites of professional schools
- Taking advantage of extracurricular opportunities such as volunteer activities, job shadowing, internships, research, and study abroad
- Exploring summer pre-professional preparation programs
- Preparing for professional school admission tests (LSAT, MCAT, OAT, DAT, PCAT, GRE)
- Requesting letters of recommendation
- Enhancing personal statements and interview skills
- Navigating the application process