Great journeys begin at EKU. Find out more information about academic majors, explore student life opportunities and discover why Eastern Kentucky University is a special place to learn and grow.
Get the Program Guide
- B.S. in General Physics
- B.S. in Engineering Physics
- Dual Degree Program in Engineering
- B.S. in Physics Teaching
- Minor in Physics
- Minor in Physics/Teaching
Who Would be Interested in Physics and Pre-Engineering?
- Want to further their education in graduate physics and become professors or researchers
- Want to join the work force in a technical capacity such as a plant engineer or company scientist
- Want to become engineers in fields such as mechanical, civil, or electrical through our dual degree programs
- Aspire to become secondary physics teachers
Why Physics and Pre-Engineering?
- Students will get personal attention in small classes from experts in Physics and Astronomy
- Students will join a group of graduates with a strong track record of student success
- Students will become a member of an extremely talented community of scholars who will be in class with you or who have gone on to other careers
- This education will be second to none and this program will open doors that lead to world class opportunities such as studying abroad
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to this Program?
Students should have both an aptitude and love of mathematics. Students should also have a curiosity about how the world around them behaves in a systematic, simple way. Students may select any of the Physics options upon applying to the university.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- One graduate is currently finishing her PhD at NASA though the graduate program at Vanderbilt University
- Another graduate received a PhD from North Carolina State University and is on the faculty at Tennessee Tech University.
- A third graduate is currently a laser physician in California
How Do I Get More Information?
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
There are several scholarships available for students in the Department of Physics and Astronomy. Visit www.physics.eku.edu/scholarships to find more information on scholarship opportunities.