Get the Program Guide
B.S. in Middle Grade Education
- English and Math
- English and Science
- English and Social Studies
- Math and Science
- Math and Social Studies
- Science and Social Studies
Who Would be Interested in Middle Grade Education?
This program prepares candidates to teach young adolescents (grades 5-9).
Individuals who are successful in this field:
- Enjoy working with the unique age group of young adolescents (ages 10-14) from diverse backgrounds
- Are energetic, caring, and committed to enhancing the overall welfare of the community
- Interested in learning and teaching two subject areas
- May eventually see themselves as instructional leaders, school counselors, principals, or other specialists in the teaching profession
Why Middle Grade Education?
- EKU prepares highly qualified Middle Grades Teachers; students will be ready to teach two subject areas in grades 5 through 9.
- Students will have extensive, supervised school-based field experiences every step of the way.
- The Kentucky teaching certificate can be easily transferred to most other states (some additional requirements may be needed).
- Our candidates are likely to pass PRAXIS certification tests.
- We are accredited by NCATE.
- Our faculty are active scholars in state and national organizations such as the Association for Middle Level Education, the Kentucky and International Reading Associations, the National Council of Teachers of English, the National Council for Teachers of Mathematics, the National Council for the Social Studies, and the National Science Teachers Council.
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
- Students must earn and maintain a 2.75 GPA overall an in professional education and content emphasis coursework.
- Kentucky requires that all teacher education candidates take and pass the PRAXIS Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) prior to admission to the Professional Education Program after completing 30 hours (first semester sophomore year).
- Students must pass a criminal background check.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- Madison County Schools: Madison Middle School and Farristown Middle School
- Laurel County Schools
- Woodford County Middle School
How Do I Get More Information?
Department of Curriculum & Instruction
College of Education Center for the Preparation of Educational Professionals
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
Yes! Visit www.coe.eku.edu/current-students#sch to learn more about scholarship opportunities.