B.S. in Family and Consumer Sciences Teaching (Grades 5-12)
Who Would be Interested in Family and Consumer Sciences Education?
If any of the following apply to you, you should explore a career in Family and Consumer Sciences Education:
- Enjoys working with teens or adults
- Loves the following areas: Foods & Nutrition, Interior Design & Housing, Child & Family Studies, Apparel Design & Textiles, or Family Finance
- Wants to teach others the skills for a strong home and family
Why Family and Consumer Sciences Education?
- Learn to teach something you love
- Teach a subject that helps prevent problems such as eating disorders, child abuse, debt, consumer fraud, and obesity
- Work with the youth organization Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA)
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
For admission to Teacher Education (a part of the program) you must meet several requirements, including:
- Completion of 30 credit hours
- A minimum overall 2.75 GPA on college work at EKU
- Praxis I scores of Reading 176; Math 174; Writing 174
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- Bryan Station Middle School, Lexington, KY
- DuPont Manual High School, Louisville, KY
- Estill County Cooperative Extension Service, Irvine, KY
How Do I Get More Information?
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
Once a student is enrolled, many small scholarships are available. Prior to admission, apply for EKU scholarships.