B.S. in Elementary Education, Teaching
Who Would be Interested in Elementary Education?
This program prepares candidates to teach at the elementary (P-5) level
Individuals who are successful in this field:
- Enjoy working with children from diverse backgrounds, ages 5-11.
- Are energetic, caring, and committed to enhancing the overall welfare of the community.
- Interested in learning and teaching multiple subject areas.
- May eventually see themselves as instructional leader, school counselors, principals, or other specialists in the teaching profession.
Why Elementary Education?
- EKU prepares highly qualified elementary teachers.
- You will be ready to teach any subject or multiple subjects in kindergarten through fifth grade.
- You will have extensive, supervised school-based field experiences every step of the way.
- Your Kentucky teaching certificate can be easily transferred to most other states (some additional requirements may be needed).
- Our candidates are likely to pass PRAXIS certification tests.
- The program is accredited by NCATE.
Learn from the Best
Faculty have K-12 teaching experience.
Faculty are active scholars in state and national organizations such as:
- Kentucky and International Reading Associations
- National Council of Teachers of English
- National Council for Teachers of Mathematics
- National Council for the Social Studies
- National Science Teachers Association
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
- Students must earn and maintain a 2.75 GPA overall in professional education and supporting coursework.
- Kentucky requires that all teacher education candidates take and pass the PRAXIS Core Academic Skills for Educators (CASE) prior to admission to the Professional Education Program after completing 30 hours (first semester sophomore year).
- All elementary education majors take MAT 112 (college algebra) or higher.
- Students must pass a criminal background check.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- Madison County Schools and Model Lab Elementary School
- Fayette County Schools
- Laurel County Schools
How Do I Get More Information?
Department of Curriculum & Instruction
College of Education Center for the Preparation of Educational Professionals
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
Yes! Visit www.coe.eku.edu/current-students#sch to learn more about scholarship opportunities.