Great journeys begin at EKU. Find out more information about academic majors, explore student life opportunities and discover why Eastern Kentucky University is a special place to learn and grow.
Get the Program Guide
- B.S. in Special Education/Early Childhood Special Education, IECE Teaching certification option
Who Would be Interested in Early Childhood Special Education?
- Enjoy interacting with young children ages birth to age 5
- Are interested in providing services to families
- Are interested in working in an early care and education setting or public school setting
- Are interested in providing early intervention services to young children
- Are interested in teaching Kindergarten
Why Early Childhood Special Education?
- Students have opportunities to gain experience in the public schools and in home settings working alongside developmental interventionists
- Work with faculty who have a wide variety of experiences teaching and providing services to young children and their families
- Gain firsthand experience implementing instructional activities for young children with and without disabilities
Rewarding Career Opportunities
Employment opportunities include:
- Teaching in public school preschool or kindergarten
- Providing early intervention services for children ages birth to three in home and community settings
- Working with Head Start in administrative and classroom settings
- Providing service coordination information to families of young children with disabilities
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
You must meet admission to professional education requirements outlined by the College of Education. Find out more at tes.eku.edu/admissions.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- Program Coordinator for Kentucky River Foothills Head Start
- Preschool Teacher for Fayette County Schools
- Developmental Interventionist for Kentucky First Steps
- Kentucky Department of Education
How Do I Get More Information?
Contact Sonia Michael, Associate Professor and Program Coordinator
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
Contact Ryan Wilson in the College of Education for information regarding scholarship opportunities.