- B.A. in Communication Studies, Interpersonal Communication Concentration
- B.A. in Communication Studies, Integrated Organizational Communication
Minor in Communication Studies
Who Would be Interested in Communication Studies?
Students who enjoy:
- Public speaking
- Working with others
- Selling products or services
- Negotiating and settling disputes
- Taking a leadership role
Why Communication Studies?
- Research indicates the ability to communicate effectively is the leading skill employers seek in their employees.
- Communication studies courses help students become more proficient in speaking assertively, writing effectively, thinking critically, negotiating persuasively, and solving problems creatively.
- Communication Studies majors may join the Communication Studies Student Association, which provides networking opportunities with professionals and social activities for members.
A degree in Communication Studies can be tailored to fit your individual needs and career goals. For example, graduates have successfully entered careers in:
- Corporate instructional training
- Nonprofit agencies
- Health care organizations
- Human services agencies
- Alternative dispute resolution
Experienced, Involved Faculty
- CMS faculty bring extensive teaching and professional experience to the classroom.
- Faculty are committed to student success and work closely with students to obtain internships that will prepare students for rewarding careers after graduation.
Internship and Job Opportunities
- CMS majors earn a minimum of three credit hours through the Cooperative Education program for internships on or off campus.
- Through service learning courses, students work with community organizations and businesses, providing assistance to these groups while at the same time gaining valuable experience for themselves.
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
- Students may select Communication Studies upon applying to the university.
- Students must take CMS 200, CMS 205W, CMS 210, and CMS 250 before taking any other courses for the major.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- Richmond Chamber of Commerce
- Northwest Mutual Financial Network
- Teachers College of Columbia University, New York City
How Do I Get More Information?
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
- The Charles Weaver Fund
- Christy L. Guttridge Memorial Scholarship