Great journeys begin at EKU. Find out more information about academic majors, explore student life opportunities and discover why Eastern Kentucky University is a special place to learn and grow.
Get the Program Guide
- B.A. in Broadcasting and Electronic Media, General Concentration
- B.A. in Broadcasting and Electronic Media, Film Techniques and Technology Concentration
- B.A. in Broadcasting and Electronic Media, News Concentration
- Minor in Broadcast News
- Minor in Broadcasting and Electronic Media
- Minor in Visual Media
Who Would be Interested in Broadcasting and Electronic Media?
Students interested in:
- Working in the television, film, radio, recording and multimedia industries
- Working with audio and video technology
- Combining creativity, technology and business
- Expressing themselves through electronic media
Why Broadcasting and Electronic Media?
Graduates of the Broadcasting and Electronic Media program work as professional in the broadcasting/film industry in various media outlets, including:
- Television news stations
- Cable companies
- Industrial and corporate video facilities
- Advertising agencies
- Production houses
- Independent film and video production companies
Experienced, Involved Faculty
- With three options to choose from -- General, Film Techniques and Technology, and News -- BEM students receive intensive hands-on training in video and audio production from faculty with years of professional and academic experience.
- News students also receive training in broadcast journalism.
- Each summer BEM students have the opportunity to work with faculty and other professionals on a film project.
Internships and Job Opportunities
- All students are required to complete an internship (and many students have more than one) at organizations ranging from Hammond Communications to the Bluegrass Army Depot to WLEX-TV.
- Many internships lead to jobs when students graduate.
- Graduates of the program work in a wide variety of jobs in the television, radio, film, recording and multimedia industries.
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
Students may select any of the Broadcasting and Electronic Media options upon applying to the university.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- WLEX-TV, Lexington, KY
- Kentucky Educational Television, Lexington, KY
- 20th Century Fox Studios, Century City, CA
How Do I Get More Information?
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
- Dan Mason Broadcasting and Electronic Media Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Dean C. Cannon Endowed Memorial Communication Scholarship
- Chris Schulte Memorial Scholarship
- Christy L. Guttridge Memorial Scholarship
- Freshman Broadcasting and Electronic Media Scholarship