College of Science
Biology students in the laboratory

Get the Program Guide

Biology/Teaching Program Guide

Degree Options

B.S. in Biology-Teaching

Who Would be Interested in Biology/Teaching?

Students who want to:

  • Be a high school biology teacher.
  • Share a love for nature and the natural world with others.
  • Have a rewarding career in biology, but want that career to be in or near a particular city, town or county.
  • Build a career in biology, but also like the idea of having flexible time in the summers for other outside interests.

Why Biology/Teaching?

  • Biology-Teaching graduates meet all certification requirements to teach high school biology in Kentucky.
  • Student-teaching opportunities are arranged with schools primarily within the eastern Kentucky service region, as well as many other nearby school districts.
  • There are many job opportunities in the eastern Kentucky service region for certified science teachers, so most graduates can work near the city or town of their choice, if not within the very school district of their choice.

What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?

  • Students may select Biology-Teaching upon applying to the university.
  • Students with a strong science background and interest in education and learning styles are best prepared to succeed in this major.

Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?

  • Biology teacher in a Kentucky high school
  • Principal of a Kentucky high school

How Do I Get More Information?
If you have questions or want to make an appointment with an advisor in this program:
Call or email the Administrative Assistant, Barbara Rupard
Or visit the Department Office, Moore 349

Are There Scholarship Opportunities?

The Department of Biological Sciences has scholarship opportunities available only to continuing second- , third- and fourth-year students based on academic performance and financial need. Applications are accepted each spring semester following an announcement on the Department web page. Entering first-year or transfer students should contact the University Financial Aid Office or consult the College of Arts and Sciences web page for more general scholarships available to new students.