Great journeys begin at EKU. Find out more information about academic majors, explore student life opportunities and discover why Eastern Kentucky University is a special place to learn and grow.
Get the Program Guide
- B.S. in Biology, Aquatic Biology option
- B.S. in Biology, Botany option
- B.S. in Biology, General Biology
- B.S. in Biology, Microbial, Cellular, and Molecular Biology option
- B.S. in Biology, Pre-Medical Sciences option
- B.S. in Biology, Pre-Veterinary Science option
- Minor in Biology
Who Would be Interested in Biology?
- Are fascinated by the complexity and diversity of life
- Want to share that fascination with others
- Are passionate about conserving nature for future generations
- Want to help others through medicine or medical research
- Like the science of living things
- We have 27 full-time faculty with PhDs who enjoy teaching in the classroom and labs on a daily basis.
- We take learning and critical thinking seriously, and expect our students to do the same.
- Our faculty members are dedicated and caring educators actively engaged in research and concerned about the welfare and future of each and every student.
- Our students often work with our faculty in independent research projects, many funded by outside agencies like the Environmental Protection Agency, National Institutes of Health, and the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources.
- We are proud of the diversity and success of our students.
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
- Students may select any of the Biology options upon applying to the university.
- Students who have a good high school background in science and math are prepared to do well in this program
- An interest in science and learning are critical to success in this program
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- One graduate, for example, is successful in Medical School at the University of Louisville.
- Another graduate has a Fellowship to work on a PhD in Marine Biology studying interactions of organisms in the Gulf of Mexico.
- A third is one of several recent grads studying veterinary medicine at Auburn University.
How Do I Get More Information?
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
Each spring, current students may apply for one of several academic scholarships and awards (we do not have specific scholarships in Biology for 1st-year students).