Great journeys begin at EKU. Find out more information about academic majors, explore student life opportunities and discover why Eastern Kentucky University is a special place to learn and grow.
Get the Program Guide
- BFA in Fine Arts
- B.A. in Art, Teacher Education Concentration
- B.A. in Art, Liberal Arts Concentration
- Graphic Design
- Jewelry and Metals
- Teacher Education
- Liberal Arts
Who Would be Interested in Art & Design?
- The area of Fine Arts & Design certainly incorporates working through art galleries and museums and crafts, but also includes advertising, marketing, game design, animation, exhibition design, publishing and illustrating.
- If you are an "out of the box" thinker and love creative problem solving, you belong here.
Why Art & Design?
- All of our classes are taught by faculty, not graduate students.
- Our faculty is a community of creative people devoted to their fields of art and design. They include nationally and internationally recognized artists, designers, art educators, and art historians and truly a personable group united toward a common goal: providing a quality, individualized, world-class education.
- Students are involved in both the social life and decision-making of the Department through the Art Student Association, the American Institute of Graphic Arts, and the Art Education Student Association.
- Art and Design scholarships are available.
- Additionally, many EKU students receive partial of full assistance for their entire degree program through the University's scholarship, loan, and work-study programs.
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
Students may select any of the Art & Design options upon applying to the university.
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
Students have moved on to open their own studios, enter graduate school, and show their work internationally. The majority of Kentucky primary/secondary school Art teachers hold EKU degrees.
How Do I Get More Information?
Contact Herb Goodman, Professor and Chair
Are There Scholarship Opportunities?
- Antoniou Memorial Art Fund Scholarship may be awarded to a Junior or Senior BFA major with a 3.0 GPA who is able to demonstrate financial need. This scholarship is to help pay for the cost of art supplies and can be renewed.
- Ayamara Castillo Art Service Award is a scholarship made possible by a generous donation from the family and friends of Ayamara Castillo to Eastern Kentucky University. Ms. Castillo, in addition to being a talented art student, generously gave of her time to the service of the Art Department, serving as a member and president of the Art Student Association. The award is given to a deserving student majoring in art at EKU who, like Ayamara, has exhibited scholarship, leadership and service to the Art Department and Community. Applications are available in the Art Department Office. Award amounts may vary from year to year.
- Christina Lynn-Thurman Memorial Art Scholarship may be awarded to a BFA major with a 3.0 GPA (Art areas only) who is employed on or off campus. Priority given to Photography & Metals students.